The 2013 Betty Crocker Red Hot Holiday Trends include various trendy takes on traditional favorites, like deconstructed desserts to unexpected mash-ups, copycat candy to cool cocktails, and even a fresh take on fruitcake.
Here are the top 10 hot trends:
- Sweet & Savory Cookies - A biscuit-shortbread hybrid from France, sablés have been named the cookie of the year in our test kitchens. For a salty-sweet flavor contrast, we added an unusual savory element—Kalamata olives!—and dark chocolate chips. The result? Mind-blowing, melt-in-your mouth goodness.
**TRY Chocolate-Dipped Olive Sablés
- The New Fruitcake - A modern take on a Christmastime classic, this luscious two-layer cake, studded with whiskey-soaked fruits and filled with sweetened mascarpone, will be the belle of any holiday ball.
**TRY Upside-Down Apple Cake with Whiskey-Soaked Fruit
- Crafty Cookies for Kids - Bake your way to fun family memories with our super-easy DIY (Decorate-It-Yourself) Cookie Tree. With infinite possibilities for personalization, it’s as fun to make as it is to eat. (Almost!)
**TRY Decorate it Yourself (DIY) Cookie Tree
- Global Flavor Flights - In search of a fresh holiday party staple? Look no further than our crowd-sized flight of mini cheese balls. With bases made from both cream cheese and goat cheese, it’s the globally inspired mix-ins that turn these small bites into something truly memorable.
**TRY “Around the World” Cheese Ball Flight
- All-American Pastries - From doughnuts to shortcakes, our love for all-American pastries is a year-round affair that never gets old. For a quick upgrade to your brunch-bread basket, try these light-as-a-feather popovers, made easy with help from Bisquick.
**TRY Mini Popovers with Flavored Butter Trio
- Popcorn Reinvented - From cupcake toppings to fro-yo mix-ins, bakers and bloggers have been adding popcorn to sweets in quite creative ways. This semi-homemade fudge features store-bought caramel corn, a thick layer of dulce de leche, a generous sprinkling of sea salt and – what else?—more crunchy caramel corn.
**TRY Triple-Caramel Popcorn Fudge
- Jam Cocktails - No longer just toast-toppers, jams, jellies and preserves are making a splash in the craft-cocktail scene. For this interpretation of a classic Manhattan, shake up some bourbon, bitters, vermouth and your favorite cherry preserves with some ice, strain… and drink up.
**TRY Cherry Jam-hattan
- Copycat Candy - A dead-ringer for our favorite chocolate peanut butter cup, these peanut butter cookie-filled brownies are poised to be the hit of the holiday baking season. Bonus? Made in a big batch, they freeze perfectly.
**TRY Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
- Merry Mash-ups - Why settle for one dessert when you can have two? We combined rich blondies with a chewy macaroon topping to create a crowd-pleasing bar that epitomizes a modern dessert mash-up.
**TRY Brown Butter Blondies with Macaroon Topping
- Communal Food - To us, the best part about party food is enjoying it with loved ones. Ideal for holiday open houses and impromptu gatherings, these fully loaded spicy pull-aparts can be baked in batches as company (or hunger) arrives.
**TRY Spicy Three-Cheese Bacon Bites
I hope you get inspired by Betty Crocker’s top 10 holiday trends and their accompanying recipes, that are perfect for any occasion, crowd or craving!
Now onto the giveaway….
Two (2) readers will win a “Betty’s Baking Essentials” gift box which includes an oven mitt, mixing spoon, Betty Crocker cookie mixes, cookie cutters and iPad stand.
To enter, leave a comment stating your favorite Red Hot Holiday trend.
I will give you additional entries for each of the following:
- Follow WhoSaidNothingInLifeisFree on Twitter (leave a comment stating that you did so)
- Follow WhoSaidNothinginLifeisFree on Pinterest (leave a comment stating that you did so)
- Like WhoSaidNothinginLifeisFree on Facebook (leave a comment stating that you did so)
- Subscribe to the WhoSaidNothinginLifeisFree Daily emails (leave a comment stating that you did so)
I will end this giveaway on 12/18 at 5 pm EST
Disclosure: I was given the products featured in this post to facilitate my review. All opinions are 100% mine and not influenced in any way.